TMEN513 Lab exam: Cockroaches and bugs
Name: Rattanalak Jittungdee ID:6438165
Question1: Please describe how you identify the cockroaches (selecting at least two species)
1.Periplaneta americana (American cockroaches): is the largest of the house-infesting roaches and a major pest in the United States. we can identify by;
– Color: typically reddish-brown with a yellowish band on the back of the pronotal shield.
– Legs: They have 6 legs
– Shape: Oval
– Size: Adults may range between 1 1/4” to 2 1/8” (32-54 mm) in length
– Antennae: Filiform antennae
– Region: American cockroaches are found worldwide
2.Neostylopyga rhombifolia (Harlequin cockroaches): originated in Indo-Malaysia, found in the northern part of Australia, Mexico, and also found in South California. we can identify by;
– The length varies from 20 to 27 mm.
– The tegmina (forewings) of both sexes are small lobes, only about 4 mm long, and hind wings are entirely lacking.
– Its distinctive colors and patterns make this roach one of the most beautiful species kept as a pet by many enthusiasts around the world.
– Very fast in its movements this species is an egg layer and can climb smooth surfaces.
– In optimal conditions females can lay a large quantity of ootheca (egg case) containing about 15-30 eggs each.
– Juveniles have a tan uniform color, molt after molt they acquire the characteristic design that distinguishes adults.
– The Harlequin Cockroach has the ability to produce a chemical (amyl acetate) that smells like pear drops which it uses to defend itself against predators, therefore it would not be a good choice to use it as feeders for reptiles and amphibians.
Question2: What is the difference between genus Triatoma and Rhodnius?
Answers: The difference between genus Triatoma and Rhodnius are;
– antennae arise from the sides of the head at the middle, between eyes and the tip.
– antennae arise from the sides of the head at the anterior end.