Hello everyone, I am Mr. Vanheuang Phommadeechack Student ID: 6436660
This is an interesting topic for me in terms of medical entomology and epidemiology. let’s see my opinion below:
1. For routine work in vector surveillance of malaria, i think the objective to conduct this task is for planning for vector control program and for early warning of disease outbreaks in the specific area and for evaluating the effect of vector control.
– In my opinion, we should start with planning first to design the study and select the appropriate method for sampling like cluster sampling, systematic sampling, random sampling.
– After that, we will plan for the collection technique and the form such as data collection form, data record form, plan to record data in “Excel sheet”, then plan for the equipment to use for sample collection, and plan for mapping (where to collect the sample), set the schedule and timeline to collect the sample.
– Choose the suitable type of collection method like adult collection by using resting collection, biting collection and trapping collection.
– Record and preserve the sample in appropriate way for further investigation which based on the purpose of study then transport the sample to the laboratory, for example keep in cryotube or Eppendorf tube with cilica bead.
– Then we will select type of vector survey, for example we can use preliminary survey for short term, regular or trend observation for monthly or based on season, and spot check. This can be used to evaluate the effect of vector control.
– Analysis of the data from lab results and report the result of the surveillance including the description of the study, worksheet report, discussion, comment, interpretation and conclusion.
2. For the situation of malaria outbreak in Thai-Myanmar border in Tak province, If we would like to take part for the identification of disease outbreak or vector surveillance, I think we should proceed as following process.
– Set the objective that can answer or can solved the problem. For the objective of vector surveillance in Thai-Myanmar border in Tak province is to identify the cause of disease outbreak, for species identification of mosquitos that caused the disease outbreak in that area, for vector controlling, for early warning of malaria outbreak in that area and to evaluate of vector control.
For the study design I think Cross-sectional study because this is the most appropriate to collect the sample in the specific period for vector surveillance. To collect the sample, I choose the systematic sampling method to collect the mosquito or collect the sample nearing malaria case report areas to get representative of sample in that area, writing study protocol calculate the sample size.
– Program activities: setting the timeline and schedule to collect the sample, listing the activities to be done in every day
. Equipment and tools: preparing the equipment that will be use in sample collection and preparing the data colleting form.
. Vector collecting technique: I will use trapping method to collect the adult anopheles mosquito such as light trapping, BG trapping and set the trap in early evening and leave it overnight with trap labeling and mapping record, then collect the trap in the morning of next following day.
. Sample preservation: sample will preserve in silica bead with labeling or sample coding and record in excel sheet.
. Sample transportation: sample will pack in a primary and second container with icepack and sealed before transport to the laboratory
. Laboratory investigation: Morphology, molecular identification for species (COI gene) and for malaria detection in mosquito (qPCR for malaria detection).
– Analysis: Data of sample and laboratory test results will be recorded in the excel sheet, then will summarize the data based on identified species of morphology and molecular, and analyze the data according to molecular laboratory results of malaria detection in mosquitoes using qPCR.
– Reports: the result of the study will be reported by data summary with the conclusion of the result, the description of the study, discussion, comment, interpretation of the data analysis and conclusion of the study.
Happy discuss and hear comments and feedback from Ajan and friends.