Please find my opinion as below:
1. I have sent pictures of the mosquito ovaries to Ajan via email.
The mosquito ovary can be used to evaluate the age of the mosquito and also can be used to determine whether this female mosquito has laid eggs before or not. We can dissect the ovary of the mosquito (fed or non-feeding) under a stereomicroscope by using minute needles. I start with anesthetizing a female mosquito by using Ether and then remove their legs and wing to make sure that it can’t move. Put mosquito on the prepared slide with normal saline and prepare another slide for transferring the ovary. Separate mosquito in to 2 part head+thorax and abdomen using minute needle, lay the needle across the 7th abdomen segment and slowly detach the terminalia, transfer ovaries to prepared slide, cover by cover slip, leave it dry and observe under the microscope.
The term Parity is the term that use to determine the age of wildlife including mosquitoes. There are parous and nulliparous that describe the parity status of the female mosquito as below:
1.1 Parous means the female mosquito that has taken the blood meal and has laid egg before. We can see that the tracheole is distributed. Sometimes, we also can see the egg-containing in the ovaries.
1.2 Nulliparous is the term that us to describe the female mosquitoes that never lay egg or feeding. We can see that the tracheole is tightly coiled call “skein” show inside the circle.
2. The termination of blood source and mosquito parity rate are important in role of vector capacity, because we will know the host preference, host-feeding pattern and proportion, and we also know the longevity of the mosquitoes from age determination of mosquito to apply in the monitoring of disease transmission and vector control.
– The method for blood source determination can be done by precipitin test, ELISA, multiplex PCR or DNA barcode, Microsatellites and Mass spectrometry.
– The method for age determination can be done by examining the morphology of ovaries or the structure of the tracheal system. Each of dilatation represents one gonotrophic cycle, so we can use this tool for estimating the age of the mosquito.
– Application of blood determination and mosquito parity rate is for surveillance and monitoring of vector capacity.
The application that use for age determination can be done by the multiplication between Number dialatation and days of gonotrophic cycle (Age grading= Number dialatation x days of gonotrophic cycle).
Thank you very much and happy to hear feedback and discuss with ajan and friends.
Vanheuang Phommadeechack. Student ID: 6436660